Friday, November 7, 2008

feed the birds

I have birds. Lots of birds.

The list for today:
  • House sparrows
  • Starlings
  • Goldfinches
  • White-throated sparrows
  • House finches
  • Chickadees
  • Blue jays
  • Cardinals
  • White-breasted nuthatches
  • Downey woodpecker
  • Mourning dove
  • Juncos
The joint is jumping. Which makes me quite happy, of course. It's fun to watch the finches try to figure out the finch feeder, too -- they have to hang upside-down to get the seed, which goldfinches (and I believe house finches) can do. The goldfinches have got it for sure. Haven't seen anyone else attempt it yet. It's niger seed, so not too many birds are all that keen on it, other than the finches.

I put up the suet when I saw the nuthatches. So far the house sparrows are hogging it, but I did see the downey woodpecker working on it earlier.

Christmas Bird Count season is coming up, too, and barring a nasty virus like Eric and I had last year, we're going to be heading out to our usual area in St. Catharines and having a blast. It's the weekend after I am done school for good, so that's awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

will we be able to see you, at all, while you're in town?

Unknown said...

It's a pretty hardcore day (at least, it usually is) but it would be awesome if we could meet somewhere for lunch. We will be decked out in full birdwatching gear (layers, toques glued to our heads, etc.). Our area is more towards Vineland, would you guys be able to travel a bit?